Habits.
How do I form my lifestyle? Around my habits.
My soul’s best intentions can be helped or hindered by my daily habits.
I woke up this morning thinking about how crucial all this is to my experience of a day. Our move has transplanted me into a new existence. Much is the same. I see my small possessions around me. The little things I have collected here and there…the little pieces that tell stories about me. But the big stuff around me has all changed. I always say- “Its amazing… you want to see what you amount to, just move.” Packed away, as tightly as possible in boxes your stuff shows it’s self as a meaningless accumulation of unsubstantial size. For all the hard work our society puts in to acquire material possessions, we really have so little to hang on to. It’s good to see that and know.
So I sit here in a new house, with my old stuff, and a transformed life.
It’s not the old or the new that I see around me, it’s the old and the new that I feel within me.
My habit for mornings has changed since I have moved into this house. I am sleeping in a bit later. And that’s good for me. Good for the overachiever who has the tendency to take out the trash while drinking morning coffee. Good for the girl who tries to meditate while writing the grocery list. (Not the meditating while writing the grocery list is bad if you can handle that kinda thing. ) But it’s good for this girl who does too much and misses the slow stuff too often to change her habits.
Transition helps that process along, I guess. New habits are forming.
This time here, with the dawn, in my room, with my coffee and silence is doing good in me. Moving with less haste and more deliberate consciousness. Not hurrying as much to move faster, but going farther. Farther in my soul. Farther in my efforts to be more substantial. To acquire more wealth in my soul than in boxes.
Let my habits sink into me. Let them become unstoppable habits. Let these rituals towards peace be more and more a piece of my character, undetached from who I am.
Until tomorrow morning….
No comments:
Post a Comment